Pevides Torrados (literally: Roasted Pips)
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder (or if you like things a little spicier add another 1/2)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 450gm (about 2 cups) pumpkin seeds, not toasted or roasted
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil (for rubbing onto the baking paper – or spray oil if you have it)
- Preheat oven to roast/grill at 290F/140C to warm up while you are preparing the seasoning.
Line a oven tray with baking paper, rubbing or spraying the paper with oil.
- Whisk egg white into a good foam, starting to stiffen, but not too dry.
- Add cinnamon, cayenne, salt, paprika, cinnamon and sugar – whisk into the egg white well.
- Now add the pumpkin seeds to the mixture, stirring through until they are all coated in the seasoning.
- Spread the pumpkin seeds onto the baking paper, trying to keep them in a single layer as they will roast more evenly.
- Roast for about 20-25 minutes, flipping them carefully at about half way an using a spatula to break up any pumpkin seeds that are clumping in the process. When they are starting to look drier and browned they’re done, remove and allow to cool.
- Once cool break up any clumps and serve… they’ll be a hit.